Last updated on June 30, 2022
Orange County Solar collects information on our users in various ways, such as, by your voluntary submissions, participation in services provided via the Site and Services, from third parties with your consent, and through cookie and other tracking technology. Orange County Solar collects the following information:
- Personal Information
- “Personal Information” refers to information that tells us specifically who you are, such as your name, phone number, email, postal address, and possibly information relating to certain support or customer service issues. In many cases, we need this information to provide to you many of the services that you may have requested.
- Session Data/ Visit Recording
- By visiting the Orange County Solar Site and Services, you are agreeing that all your actions taken while visiting the Site and Services may be recorded by Orange County Solar and provided to third parties and partners. These actions may include but are not limited to filling out web-forms and accepting terms and conditions and providing consent to be contacted
- Cellular Phone Numbers
- By providing a cellular telephone number to us, you expressly consent, and authorize us or a third party on our behalf, to deliver autodialed or prerecorded telemarketing calls and/or text messages to the number you provide. You are not required to consent to these calls as a condition to purchasing any goods or services, but withholding your consent may prevent us from providing certain services to you. This consent encompasses all future autodialed or prerecorded telemarketing calls and text messages from us or a third party placing these calls on our behalf. You may revoke consent to receive text messages at any time by contacting Orange County Solar, including by texting STOP.
- Submission of Reviews, Ratings, and Comments
- We collect information that you voluntarily provide as part of our Site and Services, including messages, posts, comments, responses, reviews, and ratings you submit through the Site and Services, (“User Generated Content”). Orange County Solar may in our sole discretion share your User Generated Content with others such as your business reviews. If you do not want certain information shared with others, you should not submit User Generated Content, or should not submit User Generated Content that contains information or Personal Information you do not want shared in this manner. Once you have submitted User Generated Content, we reserve the right to publish it in any medium to others.
- Aggregate Information
- We may collect general, non-personal, statistical information about the use of the Site and Services, such as how many visitors visit a specific page on the Site, how long they stay on that page, and which hyperlinks, if any, they click on. This information represents a generic overview of our users, including their collective viewing habits, and allows us and other third parties to modify information, promotions, offers and/or discounts on products and services based on user traffic and behavior. We collect this information through the use of technologies such as ‘cookies’ and web beacons, which are discussed in greater detail below. We collect this information in order to help enhance the Site and Services to make for a better visitor experience.
- Third Party Information
- We may supplement information you provide to us with information from other sources, such as information to validate or update your address, payment card or other demographic and lifestyle information. We use this information to help us maintain the accuracy of the information we collect, to enable us to fulfill our products and services, to target our communications so that we can inform you of products, services and offers that may be of interest, and for internal business analysis or other business purposes consistent with our mission.
- We may use the services of third parties to collect and use anonymous information about your visits to and interactions with our website through the use of technologies such as cookies to personalize advertisements for goods and services.
- Ad Choices
- You may choose whether to receive some Interest-based Advertising by submitting opt-outs. Some of the advertisers and Service Providers that perform advertising-related services for us and third parties may participate in the Digital Advertising Alliance’s (“DAA”) Self-Regulatory Program for Online Behavioral Advertising. To learn more about how you can exercise certain choices regarding Interest-based Advertising, including use of Cross-device Data for serving ads, visit http://www.aboutads.info/choices/, and http://www.aboutads.info/appchoices for information on the DAA’s opt-out program specifically for mobile apps (including use of precise location for third party ads). Some of these companies may also be members of the Network Advertising Initiative (“NAI”). To learn more about the NAI and your opt-out options for their members, see http://www.networkadvertising.org/choices/. Please be aware that, even if you are able to opt out of certain kinds of Interest-based Advertising, you may continue to receive other types of ads. Opting out only means that those selected members should no longer deliver certain Interest-based Advertising to you but does not mean you will no longer receive any targeted content and/or ads (e.g., from other ad networks). Also, if your browsers are configured to reject cookies when you visit these opt-out webpages, or you subsequently erase your cookies, use a different device or web browser or use a non-browser-based method of access (e.g., mobile app), your NAI / DAA browser-based opt-out may not, or may no longer, be effective.
- Other Tracking technologies
- Tracking technologies may record information such as Internet domain and host names; protocol (IP) addresses; browser software and operating system types; clickstream patterns; the MAC address or other technical information from your mobile device; location information through GPS, WiFi, Bluetooth, or similar technologies; and dates and times that our Site and Services are accessed. An IP address is a number that is automatically assigned to your computer whenever you are surfing the web. Web servers, the computers that ‘serve up’ webpages, automatically identify your computer by its IP address. The Site and Services may also use technology called “tracer tags”. These may also be referred to as “Pixels”, “Clear GIFs” or “Web Beacons”. This technology allows us to understand which pages you visit on our Site and other ways you interact with our Site and Services, such as purchases made through the Site and Services. These tracer tags are used to help us to optimize and tailor our Site and Services for you and other users of our Site and Services. We may link the information we record using tracking technologies to Personal Information we collect.
- Do Not Track
- Do Not Track (DNT) is a privacy preference that users can set in some web browsers, allowing users to opt out of tracking by websites and online services. At the present time, the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) has not yet established universal standards for recognizable DNT signals and therefore, Orange County Solar and the Site do not recognize DNT.
Use of Information
The Information Orange County Solar collects is used in a variety of ways, including:
- for internal review;
- to improve the Site and Services;
- to optimize third-party offers of products and/or services;
- to verify the legitimacy of reviews and ratings;
- to notify you about updates to the Site and Services;
- to let you know about products, services, and promotions that you may be interested in;
- to get reviews and ratings;
- for our marketing purposes and the marketing of discounts offered through our Site and Services by service contractors or health care related providers (collectively “Service Providers”);
- to fulfill and provide products and services, including personalized or enhanced services, requested by you; and
- internal business analysis or other business purposes consistent with our mission; and to carry out other purposes that are disclosed to you and to which you consent.
Disclosures and Transfers of Information
We do not disable Personal Information to third parties, except when one or more of the following conditions is true:
- We have your permission to make the disclosure;
- The disclosure is necessary for the purpose for which the personal information was obtained
- The disclosure is to the service provider from whom you purchased services through Orange County Solar’s platform, including without limitation Big Deals, Storefronts, and project submissions;
- The disclosure is to financial service providers in order to fulfill and carry out the purchase and provision of goods and services requested by you;
- The disclosure is permitted by relevant law;
- The Personal Information to be disclosed is otherwise publicly available in accordance with the applicable law;
- The disclosure is reasonably related to the sale or other disposition of all or part of our business or assets;
- The disclosure is for our own marketing purposes (including, without limitation, forOrange County Solar to market services to you on third-party social media platforms such as Facebook), or, with your authorization, for the marketing purposes of third parties;
- The disclosure is combined with information collected from other companies and used to improve and personalize services, content, and advertising from us or third parties;
- The party to whom the disclosure is made controls, is controlled by, or is under common control with Orange County Solar;
- The disclosure is in our sole discretion necessary for the establishment or maintenance of legal claims or legal compliance, to satisfy any law, regulation, subpoena or government request, or in connection with litigation;
- The disclosure is in our sole discretion about users who we believe are engaged in illegal activities or are otherwise in violation of our Orange County Solar Membership Agreement, even without a subpoena, warrant or court order; or
- The disclosure is to outside businesses to perform certain services for us, such as maintaining our Site and Services, mailing lists, processing orders and delivering products and services, sending postal mail, processing claims for lost or stolen certificates, providing marketing assistance, confirming your identity for review integrity, and data analysis (“Administrative Service Providers”), including Administrative Service Providers outside the country or jurisdiction in which you reside.
We may also disclose aggregate visitor data in order to describe the use of the Site and Services to our existing or potential business partners or other third parties, or in response to a government request. We may also share aggregated demographic and preference data with third parties to enable the provision of targeted information, promotions, offers and/or discounts on products and services.
Choice: Accessing Your Information and Opt-in/Opt-out Requests
To help you review, edit, and control how we use much of the information we collect about you, you can visit your “Manage My Accounts” webpage. On the “Manage My Accounts” webpage, you can update certain information and unsubscribe from receiving specific types of email messages and telephone calls, including autodialed or pre-recorded telemarketing calls placed by us or a third party on our behalf. You may also unsubscribe from our monthly digital magazine, which is a benefit that is included with your subscription. You cannot, however, unsubscribe from receiving certain emails, such as account status and billing related emails, unless you close your account and fulfill any existing contractual obligations.
You can also ask us whether we are keeping information about you; ask how your information is being used; ask us to update or correct your information; or opt-out of our collection and use of certain information by emailing us. If you choose to opt-out of the collection and use of certain of your information, you understand that some services, may no longer be available to you, potentially requiring the cancelation of your Membership. Please state in your correspondence the details of your request. We may require proof of your identity before we provide you with the requested information. We allow you to challenge the data that we hold about you and, where appropriate, you may have certain data erased, rectified, amended, or completed. Approved requests will be processed within ten (10) days of the date on which we receive the request.
Data Security, Integrity, and Access
The Personal Information you provide and we collect is stored within databases that we control directly or through our Administrative Service Providers. As we deem appropriate and as required by the applicable law, we use security measures appropriate for the sensitivity of the Personal Information and consistent with industry standards, including physical, organizational and technological protections, such as firewalls, to protect your Personal Information. We also use industry standard encryption technology to protect credit card and password information. However, since no security system is impenetrable, we cannot guarantee the security of our databases, nor can we guarantee that information you supply will not be intercepted while being transmitted to us over the Internet.
Personal Information may only be accessed by persons within our organization, our third party service providers who require such access to provide you with the services indicated above, or any other party that you have provided us with authorization to share such information with.
We retain Personal Information that we collect only as long as reasonably necessary to fulfill the purposes for which it was collected or to otherwise meet any legal requirements.
Your information may be transferred to, and maintained on, computers located outside of your state, province/territory, or country where the privacy laws may not be as protective as those where you live. If you are located outside the United States and choose to provide information to us, please be aware that we transfer Personal Information to the United States and process and store it there. As a result, this information may be subject to access requests from governments, courts, law enforcement officials and national security authorities in the United States according to its laws. Subject to the applicable laws, we will use reasonable efforts to ensure that appropriate protections are in place to maintain protections on the Personal Information. By submitting your Personal Information, you consent to having your personal data transferred to, processed, and stored in the United States. Orange County Solar may assign you a user ID and a password when you as part of your participation and access to the Site and Services. Your user ID and password may only be used by you and the members of your household. You may not share your user ID and password with anyone else, and you are solely responsible for maintaining and protecting the confidentiality of your user ID and password. You are fully responsible for all activities that occur under your user ID and password. You can access and update your login information on your “Manage My Accounts” webpage.
Credit Card Information
We may share credit card information with trusted third parties in order to bill you for our service. We use third parties for secure credit card transaction processing, and we send billing information to those third parties to process your orders and payments or to validate your credit card information on file. Credit card information is encrypted during transmission and whenever stored within our systems or with our vendors. In addition to utilizing encryption that meets the US Government’s FIPS 140-2 Certification, we take care to store only the amount of information required to bill you for services.
Our credit card processing vendors use security measures to protect your information both during the transaction and after it’s complete. Credit card processing vendors are certified as compliant with multiple industry-standard compliance frameworks including the Payment Card Industry (PCI) Service Provider Level 1, the SSAE-16 audit standard.
Third Party Websites and Links
Please note that you may have cookies placed on your computer by third party websites that refer you to the Site. Although we do not share your Personal Information with these third party websites unless you have authorized us to do so, they may be able to link certain non-personally identifiable information we transfer to them with Personal Information they previously collected from you. Please review the privacy policies of each website you visit to better understand their privacy practices. In addition, Orange County Solar would like to inform you that anytime you click on links (including advertising banners), which take you to third party websites, you will be subject to the third parties’ privacy policies. While we support the protection of our customer’s privacy on the Internet, Orange County Solar expressly disclaims any and all liability for the actions of third parties, including but without limitation to actions relating to the use and/or disclosure of Personal Information by third parties.
Orange County Solar does not intend the Site and Services to be used by individuals under the age of majority within the jurisdiction within which they reside without the supervision of a parent or guardian of majority age. Orange County Solar relies upon such parents or guardians to determine if the Site and Services is appropriate for the viewing, access, or participation by such individuals under the age of majority. If an individual under the age of majority uses the Site and Services, such individual may only use the Site and Services under the supervision of a parent or guardian of majority age.
We do not seek or knowingly collect any Personal Information about children under 18 years of age. If we become aware that we have unknowingly collected Personal Information from a child under the age of 18, we will make commercially reasonable efforts to delete such information from our database.
If you are the parent or guardian of a minor child who has provided us with Personal Information, you may contact us using the information below to request it be deleted.
Governing Law; Visitors Residing Outside the United States
Your California Privacy Rights
- We share information with others as more fully set forth above in Disclosures and Transfers of Information.
- We share your information with other parts of our business and with our service providers. See above: Disclosures and Transfers of Information.
Your Nevada Privacy Rights
You may contact us with any questions, or to request a list of third parties to whom we may disclose information for marketing purposes and the categories of information we may disclose. See below: How to Contact us.
How to Contact Us
We welcome your questions and comments.